If you’re currently experiencing exam failure ‘fallout’ there are a few actions that are essential to you getting back on track so you not only pass the resit, but also learn how to never fail an exam again. Lots of people don’t know about or implement these actions so end up repeatedly making the same mistakes in their resist that led to exam failure in the first place!
First, grab a pen and paper and honestly ask yourself the following questions to develop your full awareness of why you failed.
- Did you know your subject material well enough before the exam?
- Did you struggle to memorize the information?
- If you struggled, why was that?
- Did you focus on the struggles or the successes in your learning?
- Did you plan your revision approach?
- Were you motivated enough in your learning?
- Were your revision strategies effective enough?
- Did you ‘blank out’ in the exam? Which usually happens as a result of not memorization material using effective strategies
Write down the answers to these questions.
Take some time to think about the failure but avoid dwelling on it for too long. If you feel really miserable, depressed or think it’s the end of the world because you’re a complete failure, take heart in the fact that some of the most successful business people, athletes and even academics have failed at some point in their lives.
They became successful because they chose not to allow that failure to ruin them. They chose to reflect on why they’d failed. They refused to stay down about it. They got up, regrouped and faced the challenge again with a different mindset. They implemented fresh approaches and strategies in their learning that they believed would work and they succeeded.
3. Revisit your study approaches
Go back to the answers you wrote to the questions earlier. Now write the answers to the following:
- Do you need to plan your revision better?
- Do you need to use more effective study approaches?
- Do you need to implement more effective memorization strategies that better suit your style of learning?
- Do you even know what your preferred learning styles are? If not, you need to find out.
If you need help figuring out what went wrong or working through how to fix it, book a 1-1 Study Coaching session today.
Your first 15 minute session is always free!
By learning to implement the right mindset and empowering yourself with more effective study approaches, you can learn how to never fail an exam again.